Thursday, June 2, 2011

Coin de Bullion [feat. The Making Of...]

I have a new website!!
Please click this link to find more up to date work!


Thank you!!


Coin de Bullion
Mixed Medium on Recycled Canvas
36" X 36"
May 2011

What is recycled canvas? Simply put, a canvas that was once something else... and now is something new. A few years ago, I was asked to participate in a friend's photo shoot for school in which I portrayed Jesus Christ... I know! Some of the photos came out pretty sick and I had decided to make a piece with one of them. The canvas was plastered with torn out bible pages that created an interesting background but the idea never really came together visually in the end so the piece was never shown to anyone except close friends of mine who came to my place. Since then it's been sitting under a bed sheet waiting, waiting.

Of late, I've been tightening my budget belt a lot more than usual and, as luck would have it, I'm recently REALLY into the concept of re-using old canvases that have been gathering dust in my studio space [how convenient, right? Right.].

I've also been asked by people to show a bit more of what goes into making one of my pieces and I figured this one would be as good as any to show you! So without any further ado... I present to you:

"The making of Coin de Bullion"
[The semi-abridged version]

Here's the original picture I took while out on a dog walk [pretty random, I'd say!]:

So here we go!


I ripped off as much of the bible paper as possible but since it was glued on there something wicked I couldn't get it all off and so there are still some "good book" remains lingering. I sanded it down to give if a nice smooth feel so that I wouldn't be too lumpy.

Then the actual painting could begin! Rollers and acrylics first.


Followed by some spray paint fade for the sky.


Skip ahead a step [creation of the main background beige-ish layer] and right into the second layer stencil which will be used for the white highlights [ironically done first!].

Before:

After:


Next I created 2 new stencils for the following 2 shades of brown [only the first of these 2 layers is shown below]:


It's all in the details. Notice the cross-walk sign is the only thing that's not blue or brown...
Why?
Why not?


And finally one layer of black [some pictures missing]:

And... the final unveiling:

So there you have it!
A step-by-step view into what makes one of my paintings come to life... I hope you've enjoyed the ride and will share with your friends and family.

This painting as well as all of my most recent, unreleased work can be seen for the whole month of June at Studio Bizz Iberville [2488 Mont-Royal Est]. Keep your eyes and ears open for a mid-month vernissage or maybe even a
"taking down the art show" event!

Who knows!

So as usual, thanks for playing along and I wish you all a great, great time.
Until we meet again!

[...]

2 comments:

  1. Vraiment Nice Kevin ! J'aime beaucoup ça. Je croyais que c'était du Photoshop au départ mais quand j'ai vu que c'était de la peinture, tu m'a impressionné ! Good piece of work !

    ReplyDelete